Monday 17 November 2008

Give myself a slap.

I feel bad for whinging about Kev going to Canada now.
Two reasons.
It was business not pleasure and he does work so bloody hard.....if he didn't there would be no business. If there were no business there would be no Company. If there were no Company we would have no income. If we had no income we..............you know what I'm trying to say?
The second reason is;
I got to thinking about my Mum.
When I was born in 1967, my Dad was a sergeant in the Army, serving in Aden.
This was one of the two occasions that my Dad was serving away from home for a whole year. He came home to see me very briefly when I was three months old and then returned to Aden. My Mum also had my sister who was five when I was born. My sister was born in Germany where they lived for a bit.
What I'm trying to say is, I really shouldn't bitch about Kev having to work away for the odd week here and there when it really is no big deal.
Having a newborn baby and a five year old to look after while your husband is in another country fighting a war is.
So that's why I feel bad about the whinging.
My Mum never whinges. Never has.
There have been times when it must have been really hard for her during the early years of their marriage. Although Mum did enjoy being a 'forces wife', she has told me of a time that we (Mum, my sister and me) lived in what were called sub-standard quarters and also when she lived in Germany and the horrendous birth of my sister in a military hospital. (Mum was put under general anaesthetic and the baby pulled out with forceps. Amongst other things.)
It all sounds like something out of a novel when she talks about it. Really old fashioned and really hard work.

Now we moan about having to do the washing.
Oh dear. Sorting it into loads and putting it into an automatic washing machine to do the rest.
Women of my Mums' generation would have been delighted to have done that. I remember the old twin-tub we had when I was a kid which seemed like hard work but there was a time when Mum washed all the clothes and bedding etc. by hand and in the sub-standard quarters she had to boil water over a fire!!!! All this with a young child to look after.
Bear in mind, my Mum was only nineteen when she married Dad and twenty when my sister was born.
Apparently the quarters were inspected regularly too, so had to be kept absolutely spick and span at all times. Maybe this is why my Mum still keeps her house immaculate!
So....no more whinging about looking after the kids and doing housework, I promise. Well....I'll try my best anyway!